School attendance is compulsory for the first 10 years of school, provided that the child is at the appropriate age. Attendance of one year in kindergarten, six years in primary school (Dimotiko) and three years in Lower Secondary School (Gymnasium) is compulsory, while attendance of three years in Upper Secondary School (Lyceum) is optional.
Greek education is offered at both public and private schools. Public schools can be found in every neighborhood and are free of charge, whereas private schools require tuition fees.
A sub-category of private schools, international schools follow international curriculum models in English, French, Spanish and German. Those schools offer similar standards of schooling with international schools around the globe and provide internationally accepted accreditation such as the international baccalaureate.
Below is a list of all the international schools in Athens:
International School of Athens (ISA)
- Address: Xenias and Artemidos Str., Kifissia, 145 10
- Tel: (30) 210-6233-888
- Formerly TASIS, this is an International Baccalaureate (IB) School. ISA is a private school that serves students from Pre-K to 13. In addition to English, ISA provides Arabic and Mandarin Chinese language classes to adult learners.
- Address: Aghias Ioulianis Str., Pallini, 15351
- Tel: (30) 2106071700
- British-style international school that has a Lower School (Years 7, 8 & 9), Middle School (Years 10 & 11) and Upper School (Years 12 & 13). Each pupil belongs to a 'House', each named after a legendary Greek hero, which are the focus for sports contests and other competitions. Pupils up to and including Year 11 are required to wear school uniform. In the final two years, students are expected to conform to the dress code. It is an executive member of COBIS and its Head is a member of HMC, the prestigious organisation representing the majority of independent schools in the UK. Pupils in the Lower School in Years 7-9 follow an adapted British curriculum and sit the Cambridge Checkpoint exams in Year 9 to assess their academic progress. At the end of Year 11 pupils sit IGCSE examinations which serve as a pre-qualification for British university and excellent academic preparation for the International Baccalaureate (IB) programme. All students participate in the IB.
American Community Schools (ACS Athens)
- Address: 129 Ag. Paraskevis and Kazantzaki Str., Halandri, 152 34
- Tel: (30) 210 639 3200
- International school that embraces American educational philosophy, principles and values. The official and instruction language throughout the grades is American English, except for modern language classes (Greek, French, Spanish). ACS Athens offers English language support classes for students as early as 1st grade. Students may earn the American High School Diploma, the International Baccalaureate Diploma, or the Greek High School Equivalency Diploma.
Glyfada Christian Academy
- Address: 117 Saki Karagiorga Str., Glyfada, 166 75, Athens, Greece
- Tel: (30) 690 909 5125
- Based on an American system, this English language, Christian school provides classes for K-12.
St. Catherine's British School
- Address: 77 Venizelou Ave., Lykovrisi, 141 23
- Tel: (30) 210 282 9750, (30) 210 282 9751
- Based on the UK system, there is a lower and upper school. It follows the National Curriculum (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) and lessons are taught primarily in the English language. A member of COBIS, it provides courses leading to IGCSE and the diploma of the International Baccalaureate.
The American College of Greece
- Address: 6 Gravias Str., Agia Paraskevi, 153 42
- Tel: (30) 210 600 9800
- This school follows American curriculum. There is an Undergraduate, Graduate Arts & Sciences and ALBA Graduate Business. It is accredited by NEASC.
Lycée franco-hellénique Eugène-Delacroix
- Address: 15 Trikalon Str., Agia Paraskevi, 153 01
- Tel: (30) 211 300 9100
- The school provides a Franco-Hellenic French sector with a bilingual (French-Greek) education. The school caters to kindergarten and elementary, middle, and high school. Curriculum conforms to the guidelines of the Ministries of Education in France and Greece. The facility is part of the Agency for French Education Abroad (AEFE).
Saint Paul's Franco-Hellenic School
- Address: 36 Charilaou Trikoupi Str., Piraeus, 185 36
- Tel: (30) 210 451 1954, (30) 210 452 6496
- A private French language school founded in 1893 by French priest Pierre Berthet, of the Congregation of the Salesian Fathers of the Catholic Church. St. Paul's also offers German from level 1 through 4.
Deutsche Schule Athen (DSA)
- Address: 6 Dimokritou and Ziridi Str., Marousi, 151 23
- Tel: (30) 210 619 9261, (30) 210 619 9265
- Founded in 1896 by the famous archaeologist Wilhelm Dörpfeld, this bilingual (German-Greek) school offers a crosscultural education. The curricula corresponds to those of regular Greek schools with the chance to earn a Greek diploma.